Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Negative Numbers in 1st Grade??? hmm...

Yep, yep... I knew something was up! My 6 year old had me a bit puzzled. He just asked me what 3-4 was? Of course I know negative numbers, I just wasn't sure where he was coming from. I knew I looked at that work, and there wasn't anything like that in it...or was there?


I said, "do you mean 4-3?... u can figure that out yourself!" 


He said, "no... 3-4! Maybe it's negative 1 but I'm not sure!" 


I said, "You're right, but read your paper again... I am sure it is a 4-3!" 


After all, when did we start doing negatives in 1st grade? lol! 


Actually it wasn't even 4-3. He's doing double digit subtraction so it was a 4-3 in the right column. The problem was 74 minus 53 or something....I don't recall! but... I have no idea where he picked up on the negative numbers other than overhearing me doing math & algebra with my older two. 


I thought he'd lost his mind... till I heard a correct answer out of him. He's killing me... that incessant talking while working! I don't see how he learns anything! I can't even concentrate on my own thoughts here lately! lol!


Blessings,


apple initials

10 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, and I have. you are also invited to follow mine! God's Blessings,
    jC

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I have added myself.
    Blessings,
    jC

    ReplyDelete
  5. They change what our kids are to learn daily it seems...but negative #'s in 1st grade?

    jC...I can't find a follow wedgit on your blog to follow with. If you put one up...I'll gladly follow. Till then, I'll put you on my "favorites" list.

    I do invite you to look over my blog and become a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a funny post.

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. covnitkepr1, It's just up across the top... in the blogger bar. I just click follow when I visit others blogs... I tried adding a widget for it and it wasn't working right. :)

    n thanks Lloyd & Toyin O. I will be by to visit soon! Got to get the kids in bed for now! it's that time! I am so pooped, I'll probably be in bed myself before too much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homeschooling can be very entertaining! I never know what to expect.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! What curriculum are you using? My 1st grade daughter is hating math. We are using Horizons, 1st grade. She loves the word problems, money and measuring, but actual addition or subtraction problems...she can't even look at them without getting frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not in the curriculum we are using! lol! I looked! He had to have picked it up from my teaching the other two. I do a little bit of everything with him, but for the most part he is using ACE/School of Tomorrow. He works a level above (so doing 2nd grade for 1st grade), but we're still a 1st grader!!! I'm not rushing him through...I just knew he was bored with what we were doing from the start, so in K we did 1st grade, so now we've moved to 2nd grade.

    ReplyDelete