Saturday, October 2, 2010

Temperance...With a teenager?


“Mom won’t help me!” was the excuse I heard him give to his dad for not completing his Algebra.

“What?” replied my husband.

“I don’t understand and she won’t help me!”

“Did you ask her?”

“Um…”

The rest was basically lost because I was fuming about the words that I am sure weren’t meant for my ears!

I felt a sting similar to the time I accidently went for my cast iron skillet forgetting I that pone of cornbread just came out the hot oven. And oh wee…. that holler that followed! Scary! It was much the same ‘n came just as quick as the one I hollered out when jerking back those burnt fingers!

“WHAT DID YOUuuu JUST SAaaaYyyy? I WOoooN’T HEEELP YOUuuu? ”

‘n don’t forget to add this momma’s southern drawl to it, because I did draw it out most exaggerated I might add!

I then make my way into the room and the lecture begins (I must have been speaking 90wpm)…

“I help you all the time! I spend every moment of my day helping you and attending to your every need! You wanted to buff up, and I commit to waking up an hour earlier to squeeze a workout into our day. You want to go biking, and I go with you most every time. You wanted to go hiking in the KNF with us, though you had not met all your responsibilities (chores and schoolwork), so I took you anyway, because I hate leaving you behind! You have youth events with the church, and I let you go to those, because I know it is important for you to be with other kids your age since you are a homeschooling kiddo & socializing with others your age is important!
I haven’t done some of the things I planned on doing with your brother and sister, because I was too busy doing stuff with you/helping you! Or…I did those things that were supposed to be special and just for them, involved you, and they end up being about you and not about them!
They don’t complain, though I know they’re disappointed! You don’t think about what they give up for your happiness. They want to feel special and important, too!  In return-- you disturb them, pick and poke at them, mess with their stuff, or do anything you can think of to aggravate them.
Our entire world seems to revolve around you and your needs!  How could you act this way? And how could you say that I don’t help you?
We do everything to make you happy! I can’t believe you don’t appreciate what I do for you!”

The color temporarily left the boys face, because he knew good and well that everything I said was absolutely, positivity true. Of course my husband knows that, too, so next I turn to him…
“I can’t believe you let him talk about me this way!”

“Um… you kinda of didn’t give me a chance to say anything!”

And I guess that was true!

Oh the fun of raising a teenage boy! I recall stories from other moms and their teens and I looked at my little guy and told myself, “Oh, that will never be my boy! My kid goes to church, he’s raised up right, & he’s just the sweetest and most loving kid I know! He’ll always think I am the most awesome mom on God’s green earth!”

Rofl! I must have been delusional!

And so… that wasn’t my proudest moment, but I did speak my mind. I know for sure now that whatever amount of praying I was doing, I have got to do a whole lot more. Otherwise I don’t know how I am going to make it through the rest of his teen years! And what is worse, just as we get through the worst ones, the middle child will come into them, and then after 4 years, our youngest will be there.

I have got to get my armor on! And well I better get my basket of fruit, too or I’ll be turning into a basket case!

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance…” (Galations 5:22-23)

Umm… obviously I confused “TEMPERance” for “Temper” when I went off on the boy. Funny thing is-- we have this plastered on our fridge!



Yep… I maybe need to have a little more self-control!

I wish it was as easy as tacking a few apples on my chest, because honestly…it wasn’t the first time I’ve lost my temper on him! I can pretty much guarantee it won’t be the last time! 




apple initials

1 comment: